I am always looking for motivated students with the right background and expertise.
Students joining the Joint Institute of Engineering will study at Carnegie Mellon University and Sun Yat-sen University in China. All graduates will receive OPT work authorization which provides the opportunity for employment in the United States after graduation. In many cases this leads to long term work opportunities in the United States or globally with leading employers.
NEWS: The admissions period for the SYSU-CMU Double Degree programs has now closed for Fall 2015 admissions. The next admissions period will be in August 2015 for admissions in Fall 2016. Applications for the SYSU Single Degree Masters and PhD Programs are still open to non-Chinese applicants.
I have a several PROJECTS that cross a range of research areas within computer vision including high speed visual object detection, object detection in LIDAR point cloud data, road scene understanding, and autonomous driving.
Ideal students will be self-motivated, engaged and willing to work hard in exploring new problems. Strong problem solving and programming skills are a must. Students should be able to communicate well in English and explain their interests and motivations clearly.
I receive numerous expressions of interest from students. Most of these are mass mailings. Therefore, interested students who want the best chance of having your enquiry considered should do the following:
- Make sure you understand what degree program you’re interested in.
- If you are interested in a PhD or Masters, double-degree program at the SYSU-CMU Joint Institute of Engineering please start by reading the Institutes online information. See also JIE China. Fall 2015 application information will be available by October 2015 – in the meantime you can read
- If you are interested in the Single Degree Phd or Masters options at Sun Yat-sen University you should start by reading SYSU applicant information and JRI online information.
- If you are interested in summer internships or other opportunities you may contact me as well.
- Before you contact me, please look at my research and publications in order to explore the kind of work we are doing and understand how this fits into your personal goals. (sorry dead links – under construction)
- If you’re interested please feel free to contact me with your CV and other important information listed below.
- SYSU-CMU JIE Double Degree students should apply with the subject line – “JIE PhD Enquiry – <Your Name>” or “JIE Masters Enquiry – <Your Name>” depending on their selected program.
- JRI Single Degree students should apply with the subject line – “JRI PhD Enquiry – <Your Name>” or “JRI Masters Enquiry – <Your Name>” depending on your selected program.
- Other enquiries should use the subject line – “Special Enquiry – <Your Name>” and should clearly list what it is you are interested in doing.
- Be sure to include the following information with your application:
- Cover note (can be in the email) expressing why you are interested in working with me
- CV or Resume
- GPA or other academic score
- Any relevant awards
- Any personal projects you think might be relevant. e.g. Mobile Application Development, Open Source Contributions, Lego Mindstorms Project!
- If you are not a native English speaker please include your English proficiency scores.
- References/Referee reports
- Submit your full application to either the JIE or JRI application process as listed on their websites.
There is a full stipend available for PhD students which will cover living expenses. Accommodation in China is generally arranged for you.
Except in exceptional circumstances Masters students will not receive funding and will be required to pay tuition for their study at JIE.